"We pass through this world but once. Few tragedies can be more extensive than the stunting of life, few injustices deeper than the denial of an opportunity to strive or even to hope, by a limit imposed from without, but falsely identified as lying within."
--Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man


Monday, May 5, 2008

Okay...it's only been a month

A month is way better than my usual record of only writing to people at Christmas. I'm trying to get better at posting and staying in touch. Since we've moved, we're finding that we really miss our old friends...Garrisons, Gardiners, Jimisons, Pews, Hoskisson-Wytiazs, Weber-Samuelsons, the list could go on and on and we need to be better at staying in touch. So...now that I'm over trying to find a clever title and am just settling, things can get rolling. Can't believe how OCD I was about trying to figure that out...it took me a month to realize I'd never figure one out and I should just move on. It's kind of like how I lost my work keys a couple of months ago and I still refuse to look for them because that's admitting defeat. If I look for them and can't find them then they are lost and gone for good. However, if I never look I can continue to say they are misplaced. Wow...makes so much sense. Anyway, all is well here. I just finished my second semester of graduate school and did well, even with statistics (the bane of my existence). I'm almost finished with my first year of high school teaching and even was able to juggle an adjunct job in there. Yes, my personal life suffered but I'm learning how to balance this new trajectory in my schooling/career and am getting better at finding time for family and friends. Next year should be smoother sailing...not clear and placid waters, I'm sure, but the sailboat will be in better hands. The water's not changing, but the sailor is. Anyhow, life's moving forward and we're finally catching up with the momentum. I'll be posting pictures of Oliver and the house renovations soon.

6 comments:

Randy and Susan Landon said...

Mel I love your blog. You write wonderful things and so interesting Thanks LOVE MOM

Garrison Propaganda said...

yeah melanie! who cares about a title, im so happy to see a new post. almost confused at whose site i stumbled over! cant wait for the pictures of oliver and the house.

holy cow you sound horribly busy! just the other day i was thinking how i missed childless life, and relaxing at the hays homestead with the gardiners watching sunday night tv. alias, the hitler special, and who could forget martha stewart!?!

good luck stumbling over those keys. :)

Hayley said...

wow. i thought that the blog lived and then i came to the realization that it died.

but, it lives! it lives! hooray!

i'm loving the title and waiting for a photo of oliver. last time i saw him was at brentwood like 3 years ago.

ciao!

Hayley said...

My (cheesy) title ideas for your blog:
-Bales of fun
-Legumes and Grass
-en el heno or just HENO
-Hay Fever

Yeah, hayley says I shouldn't be allowed to comment on peoples blogs.

Miss you guys
-E

Lori said...

Hey... I am glad that I found you (via ryan and mindy via bev via hillary). Sweet! I'm coming to Logan on the 9th. Will you be around in the late afternoon?

Garrison Propaganda said...

so uhm yeah. its been another month. indulge us in another paragraph when you get the chance!