"We pass through this world but once. Few tragedies can be more extensive than the stunting of life, few injustices deeper than the denial of an opportunity to strive or even to hope, by a limit imposed from without, but falsely identified as lying within."
--Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man


Tuesday, October 21, 2008

way longer than it should be...

So, it's been a lot longer than it should be. I thought things might slow down as a new semester began and the inconsistencies of my summer schedule were resolved. Not so. It's been busier than ever. I'm teaching full time at the high school, taking two Ph.D classes, teaching a Master's level writing course to elementary school teachers and teaching a Master's level reading endorsement course to my fellow teachers. I also just finished giving a big presentation at a regional International Reading Association conference in Seattle, Washington. It went really well, and was even better to get done. I'm in the middle of a research class right now that emphasizes writing and I realized I don't do enough of it to be comfortable in my own skin as an informal writer or potentially published author. I'm also working on writing up our presentation to be considered for publication. So, I'm resolving to get a little writing in at least every other day here just to increase my practice time.

We just had fall break and I had a chance to regroup. I got to spend this last weekend with Oliver, my mom, and my sisters in SLC. We had a great time attending the planetarium and eating out. We all got to eat at Benihana's restaurant on Friday night and Oliver was wowed! He kept telling the chef how "amazing" he was and decided there that he wants to be a chef. Maybe we'll apprentice him and start living off his wages?

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Yay! Not for being so busy, but for writing more.

Garrison Propaganda said...

i was so shocked to run across a change on your site! holy cow youre ridiculously busy--how insane. i think this is the first time in maybe two or so years ive seen a picture of oliver so sweet. he looks a lot like you and ben. although when i first saw him i thought of ben. sounds like your trip with the girls and oliver in slc was fun. well, im excited for you to practice your writing a little more frequently.