"We pass through this world but once. Few tragedies can be more extensive than the stunting of life, few injustices deeper than the denial of an opportunity to strive or even to hope, by a limit imposed from without, but falsely identified as lying within."
--Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man


Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday and good news...


I guess we're to the point where we can advertise this as we've told employers, instructors, etc. and had medical confirmation...we're expecting a baby in July! I had my first ultrasound on Wednesday so I'm past the three month mark and things look good. We're very excited as we've waited a long time for this so I could finish my course work and get to a place where if I had a baby I would actually get to see the baby. I finish my course work soon after the baby is born, take my comps and defend my dissertation proposal. Then, I'm ready to write the dissertation. We'll have the office finished downstairs so I have a "room of my own" (as is so necessary according to Virginia Woolf) and will be able to write while the baby naps. We're dreaming in ideals at this point, but either way even if the baby doesn't sleep as much as we'd like we're close enough to the end that it will all work out the way it should. Anyhow, I wrote my Master's thesis shorty after having Oliver, so this one will be my dissertation baby. It's too bad I can't go farther with my education because I'm not sure we'll be able to have any more kids without a really big paper to write shortly after their birth. I'm posting pictures of Oliver who is getting way too old to be a baby--he'll be six in March and one of the reasons we just couldn't put this off any longer; we didnt' want the age gap to be generational!

9 comments:

hillary barney said...

hooray! we are excited for another niece or nephew.

Randy and Susan Landon said...

This must mean I can tell people now. The news will be out. Yea !!!!!

mandy said...

Congratulations!

Carina said...

I'M SO EXCITED!!! And I do not use three exclamation points lightly. Call me!

Hayley said...

wow really! so excited for another ben/melanie baby to grace this world. so so happy for the three of you!

Jennifer said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You and Ben make really cute kids and we are so very excited for you. Awesome.

Love you!

ps -- my "word verification" for this comment is "punkie". Also awesome.

Lori said...

Yay! I hope you are feeling well.

Garrison Propaganda said...

WHOHOOOO! on a whim i decided to check your blog today and was confused at first. ive enjoyed reading all your updates. great to hear youre on a roll with nightly dinners, that school is almost done (minus that pesky paper), and that baby #2 is on the way!!!! cant wait to get all the updates! were so excited for you guys! though i havent met him, im convinced oliver will be an awesome older brother!

Mary Anne said...

There is always articles to write to professional journals.